Sunday, June 12, 2016

DIY Hello Kitty Graduation Cap: My Graduation Cap


This was by far the HARDEST and most challenging task I had for my graduation.
For months I had known that I wanted to do Hello Kitty as my graduation cap, because Hello Kitty was my favorite.
I had seen other girls do Hello Kitty for theirs, but with a heavy heart; there were no tutorial or tips on how to create a Hello Kitty cap. Some pictures looked like they had purchased the bedazzled sticker and others did it by hand but did not explain how they did it.

Months in advanced I wanted to make sure everything would go right.  I knew that if I didn't get the eyes or noes right of the Hello Kitty; it wouldn't look right at all.

Here is what I did and what you will need:

*Hello Kitty "Build-a-Bear" size plush (This i cut out the eyes and the noes so I could use it for the cap)
*E6000 Glue
*2mm nail design gems (black, pink, yellow & silver)
~Amazon has an assortment of these. I used the 2500 pack of black, 2500 pack pink, 2500 pack of yellow and the 10,000 pack of silver. **I did not use all of them. 2500 is the way to go for the bow and the places that need black. I did not use that much of yellow - I used less than 200 for the noes. I did not use all of the silver but bigger is better so you wont run out.
*Tweezers
*Print out of Hello Kitty to fit graduation cap
*Cotton Swabs
*Stick on Graduation Cap Stickers (Michaels)
*Paper Plate
*pencil


How Do Do It:

The first thing I did was purchase the Hello Kitty plush and cut out the eyes and the noes. This takes time and patients.

Next: I bedazzled the eyes black and the noes yellow

Next: Print out a Hello Kitty Outline fit for your cap

Next: With the print out; I took my pencil and colored the whole backside in. This is a great and easy way to make a perfect outline.


Next: I cut out the noes on the image and placed it on the cap; the button on the cap should be the noes.

Next: I took a pencil and traced the outline of the Hello Kitty; then removed the image. The pencil that was colored on the back leaves a mark of the areas you colored, so you now have a outline of Hello Kitty


Next: I began to bedazzle. Taking the E600, I put some on a cotton swab and wiped that over the space on the cap. I poured out the gems on the cap and pushed them over onto the glue to start the outline. I started with the silver and made an outline. I did switch back and forth between colors overtime.







Next: Glue on the bedazzled eyes and noes.
KEEP GOING...KEEP ON BEDAZZLING











....repeat the process until the cap is done


Tip: Make your you leave space for the tassels to fit under the button. If you bedazzle too close; they wont fit.

Final: If you continue to bedazzle you should have your cap!

Some Sweet Thoughts:
* Do the eyes and noes at least a month in advanced; the cap took me FOREVER to do. So save yourself some stress and time and bedazzle those ASAP.
*DO NOT WASTE ANY TIME; my school only gives us our caps 2 days before graduation and it was sad to say but I stayed up till 12 am doing this cap. It does take a long time. You could use bigger stones; but I choose not to. I felt the smaller ones look better, but that's my opinion.
*In total; I would say I spent 10 hours on this cap.
*Also: E6000 glue is super strong. Open windows or work outside; the glue fumes eventually get to you. Also make sure the glue is standing up when the cap is off- it comes out if laying down.

No comments:

Post a Comment